Faith

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1

I've been thinking about things a lot lately, thinking about God. When I start thinking and searching, I realize that all my beliefs are based on faith. When you think about it, that really is a tall order...believing in something that there is really no evidence for.

For a very long time, I had a child-like faith. I never questioned, I just believed. Even now, I really don't question, I just wonder. And I actually notice, the more I wonder, the more questions I come up with.

Most of my questions aren't even deep. They more deal with life after death and how things will be in heaven...I mean, just thinking about eternity boggles my mind! I am curious about the makeup of our world...good vs. evil. What happens when we pray? Like, what goes on behind the scenes to determine an answered prayer versus and unanswered prayer. I believe that God answers prayers, but I also believe we live in a fallen world. So, is there some sort of spiritual battle going on when we pray?

One thing I am really intrigued by is how Jesus lived his life. When I read the bible, I kind of get the idea that he was a bit of a hippy. He did what he wanted. He hung out with who he wanted. He had a backbone. He stood up for himself, yet he accepted his lot in life. He had genius things to say, yet said them in common terms. We have a lot to learn from him.

I've always believed that my greatest way to witness to those around me is by how I live. I don't say this as a cop out. In fact, I am more than willing to talk about my beliefs with people. But, I realize many of my friends know my beliefs and don't want to talk about it. So, to me I think that means I keep on loving them as always and hope that eventually they will want to talk.

Faith, it is so complicated for being such a simple word. And even though I like the sound of Hebrews 11:1, it kind of baffles my mind. How can something that is in a sense a feeling, a thought be considered substance and evidence?

It all baffles my little mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails